Type of site: Church Current use: Church : Anglican. This cottage in the typical Karoo style was erected shortly after the founding of Burgersdorp in 1847. 27 December 1847 they purchased the farm Klipfontein.It is an excellent example of British military architecture of the early nineteenth century. The structure originally consisted of two storeys measuring 5 m by 4 m internally.A third storey of brick was somewhat smaller and was probably added later.Firbank & Co., to whom the building contract was granted. Bathurst is situated some 16 kilometres from Port Alfred, on the road to Grahamstown. This is indeed the heart of the area where the 1820 Settlers established themselves. The Governor, Sir Rufane Donkin also pitched his camp here when he determined the site of the town of Bathurst. Special feature: Clock tower and copper clad Spire. These three buildings, with their Victorian, neo-classical and Renaissance features, form an integral part of the historical and architectural core of East London. The Provincial Building which was originally the old Standard Bank Building, is a fine example of Neo-Renaissance revivalism which covers an area of 1222 square metres and is situated on a very prominent corner site. The original portion of this double-storeyed building which was situated in Terminus Street, was erected in 1900 on Lot No. The property was then occupied as regional branch for the Standard Bank of South Africa. This mid-nineteenth-century double-storey house is closely associated with the military history of King William's Town at a stage when the town was at the centre of the Frontier Wars. John Brownlee, missionary and founder of King William's Town.Type of site: Memorial, Beacon Current use: Memorial. established themselves here in 1820 and named the place Cuylerville. which also served as a fortification against the repeated attacks of the Xhosas. The fort was built on a polygonal plan with four main buildings linked by loopholed walls enclosing a central double-storeyed barracks and barn and three double-storeyed dwellings, all linked by high walls. Moreover, each of these buildings can, in its own right, be described as unique. Current use: Mayor's Parlour/Council Chamber/Conference Centre. The powder magazine of Fort Glamorgan nestles against the hill on the west bank of the Buffalo River, overlooking the harbour of East London. In 1926 it decided to extend and the building extended onto Lot 12 in 1927. The neo-Gothic windows and Victorian wooden balcony are particularly notable. John Brownlee, missionary and founder of King William’s Town. Single-storey building, built with stone and plastered brick under thatch roof.A gravel road from Bathurst runs parallel with the coast and leads to the mouth of the Great Fish River. Apart from the farmhouse there were the main bar Lombard's Post was originally granted to Pieter Lombard in 1790 as a loan farm. This house was completed in 1878 and belonged to John Gately, a well-known local dealer and member of the Municipality of East London. The Seventh Xhosa War, also known as the War of the Axe, broke out in 1846. Upper and Lower Need’s Camp are two lime quarries beside the main road from King William’s Town to East London. Windows are sash windows with timber louvre shutters.
To protect this territory he started to build a network of forts. This military building complex was erected in about 1840 and until 1862 served as an important centre of among others, the Cape Mounted Riflemen. The farm Glen Thorn lies about 26 kilometres north of Adelaide, on the left side of the road to Tarkastad. The monument ori The Theological Seminary, now in Potchefstroom, started in Burghersdorp and it was the centre of a strong movement for the recognition of Dutch as an official language. In Burgersdorp there is not only a monument to commemorate the struggle for the recognition of Dutch, but also another brings to mind the three-year-long Anglo Boer War.The roof was of slate from North Wales, brought out to Port Elizabeth as ships’ ballast.This wool mill was built in 1821 by Samuel Bradshaw, an 1820 Settler.The farm Birbury lies several kilometres east of Bathurst, on the road to Trappes Valley. The Cambridge Preparatory School, one of the earliest educational institutions still extant in East London, was the first school to be erected in the municipality of Cambridge. In the 1870s the British Army vacated the premises. The Officers' Quarters, Fort Beaufort, were built in 1849. The village of Seymour, also on the Kat River, lies barely 11 km east of Balfour and not far from Fort Armstrong. The site has spiritual, cultural, social, and historical significance.Where the road descends a steep hill near the farm, another gravel road branches to the left amongst the bushes. Current use: University Administration and Lecture. The school still serves the same function and remains in good condition. Selwyn and built, in 1836 to protect the Winterberg District. This U-shaped hospital building, which was erected shortly before the Seventh Frontier War (1846-1847), was designed by Captain J. Together with the neighbouring Martello tower, the officers' Quarters form a unique historical and architectural group which is extremely worthy of preservation. Fort Beaufort is situated in a bend of the Kat River and owes its origin to the establishment of a military post there in 1822 by Colonel Scott, mainly for the purpose of countering continual raids by Makomo. It too owes its origin to a military post, namely Eland’s Post. At first irrigation-furrows leading from the Klein River were dug to irrigate the fields in the immediate vicinity of Hankey, but William Philip had a far more ambitious plan in mind. The old irrigation tunnel and the water furrow are a notable engineering work of the pioneer farmers under the guidance of the Rev. The treatment of Sarah Baartman during her life and after her death speaks of suffering, dispossession, sadness and loss of dignity, culture, community, language and life. Type of site: Church Current use: Church : Dutch Reformed.